Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Here's What I'm Not Writing About Today

Some days you just can't get the ideas out. There's a bottleneck in your brain that stops the thought process in its tracks. In my case, that bottleneck takes the form of Precocious Daughter, whose misbehavior at school has crowded out all the interesting insights and pithy observations I otherwise might have made in today's post. I've got nothing except little drips and drops of thought, like rivulets of wax crying down a burning candle. (See, even my metaphors stink today.)

Here's what I could be writing about, if I weren't having to deal with the adventures of my fourth-grade delinquent:

1. Obama's speech. I know, I said I wouldn't write about politics. And on this topic I probably shouldn't. So I actually have to thank PDaughter in this case for keeping my vitriol under wraps.

2. HB1287. Otherwise known as the "Texas Makes Its Schoolchildren Study the Bible" law. I'll have to revisit this one at a later date, to explain why I'm actually in favor of the Texas Legislature's latest attempt to drag Christianity into our schools.

3. More on the Beatles. When I earlier dissected Entertainment Weekly's "50 Best Beatles Songs" list, I only briefly alluded to its much shorter list of worst Fab Four tunes. I may also come back to this one, if only to defend "Don't Pass Me By."

4. Farkle. It wasn't bad enough that Facebook got me hooked on cultivating an imaginary farm. Now it's got me playing a dice game that's part Yahtzee, part Pig, and apparently part crack. How am I supposed to devote my precious spare moments to blogging when I keep trying to score high enough to see the next annoying little bug-eyed cartoon character?

5. PDaughter herself. If anybody out there has a prayer for mothers of brilliant, charismatic divas, I'd love to hear it.

OK, time to have a come-to-Jesus with the child. In the immortal words of Lloyd Bridges, looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're thinking it, you may as well type it. The only comments you'll regret are the ones you don't leave. Also, replies to threads make puppies grow big and strong.